Cosy into the new year with a healthy, warming curry! January 17 2015
Happy new year! We're starting 2015 with a warming and incredibly tasty recipe. Backed by popular demand, here is Ambu Tree's chickpea curry recipe (which I have available to sample at every farmers market).
Hope you enjoy it and here's wishing you all an amazing 2015!
Aromatic Chickpea Curry
Mild Tandoori Marinade
Spicy Tandoori Marinade
- Heat oil or cooking spray in a large heavy based wok/pan
- Add onions and cook on low-medium heat until they are just starting to lightly brown. Add garlic and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add Ambu Tree tandoori marinade and pan fry for 3-4 mins.
- Add pomegranate seeds (if using), stir into spices for a minute. Add tomato passata.Then add tamarind (if using).
- Cover and cook this mixture in the pan for around 15 minutes, stirring regularly until the oil separates from the tomato mixture. This is important to maximise flavour.
- Stir in 1 cup of water. To get a smooth, thick curry base, purée mixture with a blender.
- Return to the pan and add chickpeas, green chilli, more water (if desired) and salt to taste. Cover pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander. If you haven’t used tamarind, you can add lemon juice to taste at this stage.
- Serve with steamed rice.